Friday 22 February 2013

Sound & Foley Editing

For the past 2 weeks I have been doing the foley and sound editing for our group thriller 'Mask'. I have been using garage-band to produce audio for the film. This has been really effective in creating suspense and tension with the soundtrack used, I split the soundtrack into various parts and positioned it depending on the level of tension the music acquired and matched that level of tension with a certain part of the film. By doing this, I have also created rhythmic editing, in which actions in the film match the tempo and tension levels of the soundtrack.  

Various foley sounds were used during this process, I wanted to create a realistic atmosphere through the audio, as well as keeping a suspenseful mood to it. That's why I used police sirens as they provide tension, but did not use birds tweeting as they create a more calm, relaxed atmosphere, which is the polar opposite of what I'm looking for regarding sound. I also adjusted the volume of certain sounds, depending on whether I wanted certain sound effects to acquire more or less noise.

Sound effects were also adjusted to create more realism, for example I did not want footsteps to overlap the noise of traffic and police sirens as this is not realistic. I also made sure sounds were congruent with the actions occurring in the film, this helped massively in conveying realism through sound. Lastly, I edited the volume of the backing soundtrack to make sure it did not clash with other foley sounds used.

No comments:

Post a Comment